Trying To Go Gluten-Free? 4 Things To Know

An estimated two million Americans - about one in 133 people - have celiac disease, an inherited, autoimmune disorder that tends to run in families. Symptoms are caused by eating foods that contain gluten, and, like many autoimmune conditions, the symptoms can initially be triggered by physical and emotional stress. 
People with celiac disease should follow a gluten-free diet for life. Even a small amount of gluten can cause problems and result in damage to the small intestine. The good news is that following a gluten-free diet can greatly improve and even completely resolve symptoms, heal existing intestinal damage, and prevent further problems.

There have also been enough small studies and many anecdotal success stories that the University of Arizona Integrative Medicine fellows have shared to support the existence of a less-severe condition known as non-celiac gluten sensitivity. If you feel like this may be affecting you, a three-week trial of gluten elimination is worth considering.

Use the following as a guide to a gluten-free diet: 
Avoid all foods containing wheat, oats, barley and rye.
Read labels carefully. Gluten can turn up in cold cuts, soups, dressings, candies and soy sauce. Be aware of ingredients such as starch, modified food starch, hydrolyzed vegetable protein (HVP), hydrolyzed plant protein (HPP), texturized vegetable protein (TVP), binders, fillers, excipients, extenders, malt and natural flavorings, all of which may indicate the presence of gluten. When getting started, find an app for your phone that can help sort through the confusion or make sure your packaged foods state "gluten-free" on the label.
Look for grocers that specialize in gluten-free products - mixes for pancakes, muffins, pizza dough and bread are available. Realize that these are processed foods and should only be enjoyed on occasion. Instead focus on eggs, fish, organic meats, nuts, fruits and vegetables.
Know where gluten can be hidden in products we use every day, such as stamp and envelope adhesive and medicines.
The Celiac Disease Foundation (www.celiac.org) and the Celiac Sprue Association (www.csaceliacs.org) have more information on gluten-free foods.
To Your Excellent Health!
Willene 
478-923-8438
willene.johnson@cox.net

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

About Me

My photo
I have a passion for health and the prevention of disease.Even though my profession was in the health care field as a RN, my awareness of the role we can play in our own health began over 30 years ago when my husband became chronically ill. I started by checking out the foods we were eating. I learned that many foods contained unhealthy preservatives. Much to my kids objection, I limited the amount of sugar in the foods I bought. Over the years, my food purchases changed as more options were offered. Today we can actually purchase healthy foods that also taste good. About 9 years ago I became aware of the harmful and caustic chemicals in the personal care and home care products I was using. I thought the products on the grocery store shelves were safe to use. I learn how untrue that is and found an online wellness store to shop at. I now have peace of mind knowing that my personal care and household products are not putting me at risk for disease.