Help Keep Your Vision Healthy With These Three Foods

Maintaining healthy vision takes more than protecting your eyes from the sun and eating beta-carotene-rich carrots. Luckily, there are a variety of other foods that can help. 
Add the following to your meals: 
  1. Dark, leafy greens, which contain lutein and zeaxanthin, two carotenoids that can help address cataracts and age-related macular degeneration. Spinach, kale and collard greens are all excellent sources. Start by substituting spinach for romaine in salads, and add a side of greens to your meals or smoothies.
  1. Sweet potatoes (along with pumpkins and cantaloupes) contain a host of carotenoids that function as precursors of vitamin A - a nutrient necessary for normal vision and retinal functioning. A simple, healthy swap is baking a sweet potato instead of a white potato.
  1. Eggs. Just one egg a day will increase your levels of lutein and zeaxanthin, and also provide sulfur compounds that may help prevent cataracts form forming. Opt for omega-3 fortified eggs, which contain higher levels of DHA, another nutrient that's good for the eyes. If you're not a fan of eggs for breakfast, add a sliced, hard-boiled egg to a salad for lunch or dinner.


To Your Excellent Health!
Willene 
478-923-8438
willene.johnson@cox.net


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

About Me

My photo
I have a passion for health and the prevention of disease.Even though my profession was in the health care field as a RN, my awareness of the role we can play in our own health began over 30 years ago when my husband became chronically ill. I started by checking out the foods we were eating. I learned that many foods contained unhealthy preservatives. Much to my kids objection, I limited the amount of sugar in the foods I bought. Over the years, my food purchases changed as more options were offered. Today we can actually purchase healthy foods that also taste good. About 9 years ago I became aware of the harmful and caustic chemicals in the personal care and home care products I was using. I thought the products on the grocery store shelves were safe to use. I learn how untrue that is and found an online wellness store to shop at. I now have peace of mind knowing that my personal care and household products are not putting me at risk for disease.