Importance of vitamins and minerals

I have begun a new journey, but I was laying in bed wondering what should the next blog be about. I have so much to share. I decided I would start with the supplements I take and why.

There is so much controversy over whether people need to take additional vitamins/minerals or not. There are Drs who say if you eat a healthy diet, you don't need supplements. Other Drs feel, like I do, that supplements are essential. Most mainstream Drs receive very little training in school about nutrition and are consistently being bombarded by drug reps who are pushing their company's newest products as a solution to health issues. 

On the other hand, Doctors of Osteopath are very knowledgable about nutrition and the role supplements play to keep people healthy. They focus on total health and wellbeing and not just on treating symptoms. So I choose to follow these Drs.


In the olden days, people grew their own vegetables in soil that was not depleted of nutrients because of overuse.  They picked the vegetable when they were ripe and immediately cooked them and ate them. In this scenario, there is a possibility they received the vitamins and minerals they needed.

Today, the process is so different. The soils are depleted with overuse. (If the nutrients are not in the soil...they won't be in the fruits/vegetables). The produce is picked early so it came be shipped across country or to other countries. How can anything grown in South America have any nutritional value by the time I put it in my mouth???

I have access to a farmer's market once a week and this produce taste so much better. But, I still don't eat it all in one night...it last for a week.

My solution...use fruits/vegetables for roughage and to keep from being hungry and rely of supplements to keep my body healthy.

Of course, that brings up another issue...not all supplements are the same and many cause harm. I'll talk about that in my next post.

To Your Excellent Health!

Willene

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

About Me

My photo
I have a passion for health and the prevention of disease.Even though my profession was in the health care field as a RN, my awareness of the role we can play in our own health began over 30 years ago when my husband became chronically ill. I started by checking out the foods we were eating. I learned that many foods contained unhealthy preservatives. Much to my kids objection, I limited the amount of sugar in the foods I bought. Over the years, my food purchases changed as more options were offered. Today we can actually purchase healthy foods that also taste good. About 9 years ago I became aware of the harmful and caustic chemicals in the personal care and home care products I was using. I thought the products on the grocery store shelves were safe to use. I learn how untrue that is and found an online wellness store to shop at. I now have peace of mind knowing that my personal care and household products are not putting me at risk for disease.